Got 3-day old leftover mashed potatoes? I have a delicious solution. Don’t waste them, make them into these crowd-pleasing appetizer.
You can add one or more eggs and adjust the grated cheese and seasoning depending on how many cups of potatoes you have left. These come together quickly, and can be pan-fried, air-fried, or baked in a hot oven. These are so good they are worth making fresh mashed potatoes for! However, refrigerated leftovers work best (and, studies have suggested that cooled potatoes have more resistant starch).
Leftover Mashed Potato Appetizer
These mini potato balls can be served at your next cocktail party. Serve with a side of barbeque sauce, honey mustard or other favorite sauce.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, cooled
- 1 egg large
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Panko or bread crumbs, seasoned
- Place potatoes into a medium bowl. Add beaten egg, cheese, garlic powder, ground pepper and salt to taste. Mix until fully combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, portion out a ball of potatoes. Using your hands, form into small, round balls.
- Place Panko into a small, shallow bowl. Roll potato balls into the crumbs until lightly coated. Transfer to a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Heat air-fryer to 375 degrees. Spray the potato balls on both sides with cooking spray.
- Air-fry for 5-8 minutes, turning over halfway through, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to serving dish. Drizzle with honey mustard or other favorite sauce and serve immediately.
You can also bake these in a 400F oven for 10-15 minutes.
Looking for more ways to use leftovers?