If you have a cavity in one of your teeth, it is vital to have a filling immediately to prevent infection and strengthen your tooth. While silver fillings have been utilized in dentistry for over a century, the development of composite fillings allows Hope Berman DMD to treat cavities while keeping the tooth’s natural appearance. Dental fillings, such as composite fillings, are now widely used worldwide due to their esthetics and durability.
An overview of composite resin fillings
Composite fillings are plastic formulations that are therapeutically used in various ways to reconstruct or repair parts of damaged or impacted teeth. Composite fillings appear more natural than alternative solutions. Also, it is a combination of plastic (acrylic) resin and powdered glass filler.
The composite material may be adjusted to match the shade of your teeth, making them practically unnoticeable to anybody who looks inside your mouth. It may be used for fillings, veneers, inlays, and crowns, among other dental restorations. Dentists may also utilize composite resin fillings to repair or replace damaged or chipped teeth.
The ideal candidates for composite resin fillings
Numerous options might be a good fit for your dental requirements, which vary based on several factors. However, when it comes to oral health, the dental options prescribed can differ from person to person. The following factors can make you an excellent candidate:
1. If you have a small to a greater area of tooth decay that must be filled.
2. If you have other indicators of tooth decay, such as toothache and tooth sensitivity.
3. If you have damaged, chipped, or cracked teeth.
4. The presence of brown or white spots on your teeth.
Common reasons for selecting composite resin fillings
Many individuals are discovering that tooth-colored dental fillings are an excellent choice for repairing cavities or making minor cosmetic changes to their teeth. Most patients nowadays request that their amalgam fillings be replaced with this composite resin replacement. Other more compelling reasons to use composite resin fillings include the following:
1. Less invasive alternative: Since the tooth-colored composite resin binds directly to your tooth structure, only the affected enamel needs to be eliminated before filling. It is also a less invasive therapy alternative compared to silver dental fillings.
2. Encourages healthy tooth structure: Compared to amalgam fillings, composite resins are versatile and bind directly to your tooth surface. This will help you save your tooth structure since this operation necessitates less drilling.
3. No hazardous metals inside your mouth: Most people are concerned about metal in their dental fillings because they do not want to be poisoned by mercury. Dental fillings such as amalgam have 50% mercury, making composite resin fillings a safer option for most patients.
A composite filling might fulfill your need for an attractive filling and does not detract from your smile. Also, it may prevent further dental decay from damaging your tooth. A dentist may discuss your alternatives to ensure that this is the best for you. That way, you will understand what to expect from your filling. Call Oasis Dental Team PC to schedule your consultation today to learn more about the benefits of resin fillings and if they are the ideal option for you.